Saturday, June 19, 2010

In addition to the God Post

I wanted to add something to my previous God post that I thought you all might find interesting.

Late last August my aunt died. She had lung cancer and was very sick battling everyday in the hospital for over 2 months. My mom was with her when she died. As I've previously mentioned, neither my mom or dad is very religious, nor do they come from religious backgrounds. So, for my aunt's funeral my mom's family asked a woman from the "Centre for Conscious Living" to come and preside at her service. I'm not sure what this woman's background is, but it probably fits under the heading "Non-Denominational".

Now, typically the things said at a religious service mean little to me. They are nice, don't get me wrong. I appreciate that it is comforting for families to hear that their loved one is in heaven 'with Jesus'. I get that religion is a huge fall back for people in times of need and it's comforting to hear things from religious texts. I get it, I really do. But, because it all doesn't really 'fit' with what I believe I have a hard time remembering anything that has been said when the service is over. To me it all sounds the same. Jesus, Heaven, God, Eternal Life, Spirit, and so on and so forth.

But, something that the woman from the Centre for Conscious Living said at my aunt's service, really stuck with me. I liked it because I can see the logic in it. I'm a very logical person so I could get behind this idea in a way I just can't get behind God, Jesus and all the saints. Although I'm not sure I entirely agree with it, I like that it is grounded in a way of thought that is similar to what I know to be true about the world around me. I also like that it does not presume to know what happens, or what is to come. I wanted to share it with you to see what you think. I wish I could remember word for word what she said...but really it's the idea that matters.

She said: When we are born, we come into the world surrounded by a ready made family. The very act of creation draws two people together, and these two people have been created by two others. So, in this way, nature provides a cohesive group to care for a baby who cannot yet care for itself. Nature ensures that we are born to a mother who is naturally equipped to feed us to ensure that we grow. Nature has a orderly way. People are not born or created alone. We understand this to be so, instinctively. So, when we die, is it not equally possible that it occurs in an orderly way as well? That, in death, we will be provided for as fully and as well as when we were born. We may not know exactly how nature provides for us in death, but perhaps its not so far fetched to think that those provisions could be just as wondrous, just as perfect, as those provided in this life.

What do you think?

Oh, and a Happy Father's Day to all those babylost daddies out there. Peace and comfort to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,

    I'm new to your blog - and your thoughtful posts have really struck a chord with me. I'm so sorry you lost your little Aidan. I wish there was something more I can say.

    I've always believed that since we exist now, logic concludes that we existed before this life, and we will exist after this life. I'm not talking about reincarnation. I'm not sure what form the "soul" takes before or after our time on earth. But I don't think we cease to exist once we die. I also believe in the power of connection. I am connected to my family, my husband, just as my babies are connected to me. So, I can't really explain how, but I do feel that someday I will be reunited with the babies I lost.

    Thanks for being so candid and honest in your posts. They help me a great deal, and I'm sure they help many other people.

    ReplyDelete