Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Just the usual

I have stuff to write about, namely that I went to a Black Eyed Peas concert on Sunday night which was fun and all, but honestly I don't have the energy. Maybe tomorrow I will regale you all with tales of Fergie's gratuitous ass shots on stage or will.i.am's freestyle rapping using messages he had received via Blackberry. Or maybe not. Whatever.

I got the news today that I'm starting at my new job on August 9th 2010. My first week will consist of Monday 12 hour shift, Tuesday 12 hour shift, Wednesday 8 hour shift starting 11 hours after the Tuesday shift ends. Seriously?! Did I forget to mention during the interview that one of the main reasons for wanting this job was that it is EIGHT hour shifts, not 12? Ugh. Hopefully this will only be short term, until I'm 'orientated' to the floor. It seems a little inhumane to start a new person with that type of schedule...or maybe it's just the fact that I'm currently use to working zero hours a week...not 32. Hum...

So, fun times. I'm already dreading my first week.

On the dead baby front, I was blackberry messaging my best friend's husband today. I haven't talked to this guy in awhile. He's been working so freaking much and every time we go to make plans with them, either we are out of town or he is working (he works much much more than 32 hours a week...) Anyway, a few years ago he 'shattered' (surgeon's wording, not making it up) his ankle and now walks with a pronounced limp. I try to be sensitive about this and ask him how it's doing every once in awhile, just to let him know I'm still worried about him and hoping it's okay. His answer was that his ankle is "Not awful, just the usual 24/7 pain". My response was "Hey, that's a good one! That's how I should answer people when they ask me how I'm doing these days."

So yeah. Just the usual 24/7 pain.

I have no questions today. Just leave a message after the beep.

4 comments:

  1. I like the 24/7 pain. Very appropriate.

    I have a question for you. What type of floor at the hospital are you working on now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's going to be rough... going from not working to 12 hours on the first day! And the next day too. Hopefully you are right - it's just for orientation...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup, that just about sums it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a crazy work schedule. I hope you don't have to keep that up for too long.

    "Just the usual 24/7 pain" seems like a very fine and useful expression.

    ReplyDelete