Monday, September 5, 2011

How would you say it?

A week and a bit at home.

Kaia is doing well. She is starting to breastfeed a little better and Brian and I are sleeping in shifts so we don't die of exhaustion. For the time that I'm sleeping he finger feeds Kaia. This makes me feel a little better as we can at least monitor how much she is taking during those two feeds and I'm happy to report it's no more than what she 'should' be taking for her weight, about 2 oz. I figure if she wasn't getting enough via the boob, she would likely be STARVING during those feeds and demand to eat a lot more. So this makes me happy.

I do need your help though.

I am planning to send out a birth announcement card for Kaia, but would like to acknowledge Aidan on it. My question is how should I go about doing that? Should I say something like "remembered and missed at this special time, big brother Aidan"? or more subtle and put at the beginning of the card "we joyfully introduce our second child, Kaia"

I don't want the card to be ABOUT Aidan, as this is Kaia's moment to shine...but I would like it to acknowledge him as part of our family. Someone recently posted a rainbow baby birth birth announcement that they saw in the paper that acknowledged a dead child and I thought that announcement did a pretty good job, but now I can't find it. If that was you, please let me know what it said.

Also, if you have any ideas can you reply soon as the site that I want to order my announcements from has a sale that ends tomorrow!

Kaia is waking up so I must go and leave you with a picture!!!


That's all for now!

16 comments:

  1. http://mybutterfliesandrainbows.blogspot.com/2011/08/why-i-read-birth-annoucements.html

    here yah go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something to think about: if Aidan was here and Kaia was (alive)baby #2...how would you make the announcement? Dead or alive, I don't think you should honour Aidan's big brotherness any different. Do it however it makes the both of you happy :) That is just my 2 cents.

    She is looking more beautiful in every picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glo is right and just I loved the clipping Dana had posted...it was done just right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think either is perfect. Kaia is looking AMAZINGLY CUTE!!!!! Glad you are getting a wee bit of sleep, I promise- it DOES get better! (-: you are doing such a good job Emily, you should be very proud of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! She's even more beautiful!

    Either is perfect, too, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the "Joyfully introducing our second child" because it's subtle without making the announcement card about Aidan, it does call him to memory for those reading, without even needing to say his name. It feels more natural, and less "Hey, don't forget about Aidan..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say "Welcomed home by Brian and Emily, watched over by big brother Aidan."

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was me who posted the birth annoucement, but I see Glo already gave my blog address. I've often wondered how I would do a birth announcement too. I have to include Jacob somehow, but wouldn't want the new baby to ever feel overshadowed. It is a tough one. I like "welcoming our second child" or what Kate suggested.

    I'm glad the feeding is going better and you are getting some sleep. She is getting so big. I did a double take when I first saw this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily and Brian welcome Kaia . . . (etc, etc.) Kaia is the little sister of our much-missed Aidan William, born and passed 4.21.10.

    There's probably a more eloquent way to word it, but something to that effect? If I remember right you're not particularly religious, so wording it this way sidesteps any mention of angels or other Christian themes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Btw, those CHEEKS! She is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Frogs remind me of my Aidan. So I would have put a frog in Lucas' birth announcement. I didn't go that route, but for our family pictures, I have Lucas holding a frog or wearing a frog outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We did the usual announcement and then just said at the bottom "Welcomed with love by big sister Riley & big brothers Blake & Ethan" -- Everyone we sent it too knew that B&E weren't living so I didn't feel the need to explain it further.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We wrote, "Andrew smiled from heaven as Jeff, Laura and Joey welcomed the newest member of the Doran family..."
    :-) Good luck with whatever wording you choose and totally get needing that to be included! Sorry I'm late in my 'suggestions'- adorable pic too by the way!
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoooops... I did my classroom blog last- it's Laura from "moments of pause" blog... :-P (in case you were wondering why Mrs. Doran would comment...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope I'm not too late with my input, but my birth announcement said, "With Alyssa-Joy and Evan in our hearts, we joyfully announce the arrival of our rainbow, Spencer N.....". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete